Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Luck

I was writing today a wish for a colleague that is leaving for another job and caught myself on the thought that I always wish people good luck. And it made me think: there are people with internal locus of control (ILC) and external locus of control(ELC) as suggested by Rotter. And I would think that I'm definitely a person with internal locus of control, whereas luck is a concept typical for the cultures with the domination of external locus of control. So why such contradiction?
I have a theory: I'm coming from a culture with external locus of control dominance and I have internal domination. Then I moved to the place with the dominance of ILC and I clearly remember the feeling that I belong more to this place, which was further sometimes replaced by the longing for the taking of the world in a more usual for my previous environment way. In the same time I find it very beneficial have a sort of different overview, I think it correlates with the conflict resolution suggestions by Trompenaars(1) where he advise to take the features where one culture excels and manage them on international level (to be fair - he has different suggestion for the reconsilation of ILC and ELC).
Another argument can be that I take luck as: "The more I practice the luckier I get", which is quite internal control view. Probably that's where ILC and ELC meet - my culture tells me that luck is important, but my personality makes it internal

1) Trompenaars, F. (1996) Resolving International Conflict: Culture and Business Strategy, Business Strategy Review, 7(3), p. 51.

No comments:

Post a Comment