Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Case Studies

Reading now about using case studies for teaching purposes. Sounds like a bit of revelation for me. I mean every programmer hears "case study" approximately every day of the life, but it is just a bit of different way of seeing it: teaching method. After all - I'm using it all the time, maybe due to the lack of cultural context, I always try to explain everything using a parable. It is also a matter of politeness for me - I do not want to force my opinion and experience on another person, rather show the way to get to the same conclusions.
Anyway, what I've enjoyed in my reading: suggestion that each teacher should start with animal training, i.e. if the animal does not do the trick, it is not the animal's fault, but the teacher's. In my view, for a teacher it is much more difficult - he/she must be able to take responsibility for the way he/she teaches, in the same time it is important to make the student understand his/her own responsibility for the studies, i.e. using the parable of the animals again - the student gives himself the treat-reward for the success in the studies.
And the last: the quote about case study, which in my view is the quote about the life in general:
"ambiguous evidence, shifting variables, imperfect knowledge, no obvious right answers, and a ticking clock that impatiently demands action"[1] - "alice in Wonderland" isn't it?
1)B.Barnes, "The more I teach, the less I use the chalkboard," Echo, 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment