Search This Blog

Saturday, August 16, 2014

value based life

My PhD plans are shaping up: value based decision making.  That sounds like what I want to do and like something that means so much to me.
Is what I am doing in line with my values? This is the best question to evaluate any decision.  It seems that doing PhD on this topic - iS indeed.  But everything else?  There are things that are clear but some are vague.  It's difficult to get down to what values are underlying a particular decision.  I think this can be the methodology that I am looking for.
Value based and "want"-based decisions can conflict. I really want a big house with a swimming pool,  everything automated. I want to fly often.  I want to have many kids.  But. .thinking carefully,  these wants are conflicting with my values: non-destruction,  nature protection,  growing from within and not at the expense of others. However on the flip side - not pursuing "wants" can be also destructive. What would be the solution?

No comments:

Post a Comment