Search This Blog

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cultural Responsibility

Today my dog went to her new home and I'm very glad for her.
However, this fact triggered a long-time argument in my head: love vs responsibility. I know that my family (culture carrier?) tried to install a tremendous feeling of responsibility that is supposed to take over all the other feelings and direct my life. And... responsibility always loses. No matter how hard I try - the other feelings: fondness, hate, love, dislike etc. - take over! And the result is always the same - all the effort collected to support responsibility goes to waste and everybody is very glad that I finally do what I want and not what my feeling of responcibility told me.
Anyway, that was a personal introduction, but the questions are:
- what IS responsibility? Isn't it the force that preserves culture? Guargs it from change? Stops the change?
- How to deal with it? Unnecessary change is a waste too, so some guarding is ok, just to keep the structure within which we can operate. Isn't it just a pattern, with which to compare the effectiveness of change?
- Responsibility is objective, feelings are subjective. Where is the balance?
- Responsibility helps trust by keeping stability and making actions more predictable. Irresponsible/Unpredictable? Not the same. But responsible rather often means predictable. But predictable is not always good. Loyal -> predictable to one certain party.
- What happens when people of different cultures meet and their feelings of responcibility does not match? It's a very strong feeling (maybe just to me?) - should be really difficult if misunderstanding occurs. A takes pride in fullfilling his responcibilities, B do not care about his. In collaborative work A will feel insulted by the B's attitude.
- Maybe responsibility in general is not a cultural dimension (moral?), but the default list of responsibilities is.
I feel like in a wood trying to give everything a name... I need to find out what others are saying about it

No comments:

Post a Comment