Search This Blog

Friday, November 20, 2020

Literary Inheritance

[2016-11-04] I am living at the time when my favourite authors are dying: Gabriel Garica Marquez, Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke, Douglas Adams, to name a few (shown by Google search on the first page). I wonder if it is time to take up their craft? Isn't it how inheritance works? Current authors are writing inspired by previous generations of writers; every generation builds on some time interval that inspired them.
On the other hand, I had almost 40 years, in which my life overlapped with some of my favourite writers. It is interesting to think of it now. I remember those days in my childhood when I approached a bookshelf to pick up some "very old" book by some "ancient" author who was probably older than my parents...
My perception of time changed over this last year. I remember I was very motivated to get to some position in life urgently. The urgency came with the feeling that nothing else can be considered, every hindrance was to be fought off. Until I suddenly realised that I have arrived. Time to "settle" and look around...

No comments:

Post a Comment